[PD] Mixed works that uses interactive systems

Pierre Alexandre Tremblay tremblap at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 11:43:34 CET 2020

OK let’s get going then, these are recent and subtle ones, some of my favourite. For more classic ones, check IRCAM’s database, Brahms (http://brahms.ircam.fr/ <http://brahms.ircam.fr/>) which might give you hundreds

Alex Harker’s Fluence, where the algorithmically composed ‘fixed media’ follows the clarinet through real-time description (but so much more too!) http://www.alexanderjharker.co.uk/Releases.html <http://www.alexanderjharker.co.uk/Releases.html>

Sam Pluta’s latest trombone piece for RAGE THORMBONES - they literally play descriptors through mic’ed mutes - http://www.sampluta.com/compositionMatrixForGeorgeLewis.html <http://www.sampluta.com/compositionMatrixForGeorgeLewis.html>

Aaron Einbond’s abuse and subversions of CataRT in the last 10 years - check his website. https://aaroneinbond.wordpress.com/projects/ <https://aaroneinbond.wordpress.com/projects/>

If I may, my last 7 pieces all use descriptor-based real-time granulation (and sometimes musaiking) which allow me to analyse a ring-buffer and then compose the granular process (i.e. swarms of quiet pitched material, or pulsed loud transient echos, etc). I talk about it a bit here in an informal talk about calibration (to allow such use, one has to think of ways to normalise input!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhjeoCwqed0 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhjeoCwqed0> and in this paper (http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/id/eprint/33478/ <http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/id/eprint/33478/>)

I can put you in contact with those people off-list, should that help you, but again these are just personal favourites (and subtlest), there are a lot of pieces doing things like that to various degree of success.

Good luck!