[PD] Subprocess CPU core check

Charles Z Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 18:02:54 CET 2020

Hi Popesz,

Are you using [ggee/shell] ?

Here's an example that works on my linux machine

[taskset -c 2 $_ -noaudio >/dev/null & P=$! && echo $P  && wait $P(

[ggee/shell]

[f ]    ///the PID

When I run that command, $_ is a bash variable (see [env( - [shell] -
[print] for full environment) that has the full path to the pd binary
in use.  You may have to replace "$_" with something more appropriate
to your system
I added -noaudio, because my first pd process is handling audio I/O.
I don't need stdout from pd itself, so I added ">/dev/null".  The
process shows up in top or htop with those arguments included.  You
could distinguish between your processes by some environment variable
or set of options to pd in the command.
"& P=$! " launches pd into the background and records a variable P for
its PID.  There may be other ways of doing this.
"&& echo $P && wait $P"  causes the shell started by [shell] to output
the PID to stdout (the left outlet).  Without "wait $P", [shell]
outputs a bang from its right outlet immediately.  Using "wait $P"
allows [shell] to maintain the status of the process, and it outputs a
bang when the process ends.

Using htop, I see that the process starts and runs on CPU "3".
Taskset must use a CPU numbering that starts at 0, and htop counts
CPU's from 1.

Chuck