[PD] controlling ableton with pd via midi

Fede Camara Halac camarafede at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 04:17:35 CET 2020

Hi,

I would like to control Ableton Live 10 Intro with Pd 0.50.2 on macos.

On Pd I set the Midi Devices "IAC Driver IAC Bus 1" as input and "2" as output. On Ableton I set "ADVANCE" as "Control Surface" with "IAC Driver IAC Bus 2" as input and "1" as output.

So far, [noteout] works as expected, but [ctlout] only works when an instrument/effect is focused on Ableton, and assigning values is not consistent since every Ableton effect/instrument has a different setup.

Since I don't have external controllers, I imagine that one can use the "midi map" function in Ableton to assign any [ctlout] message as one would with a midi controller. However, I cannot seem to accomplish this.

I have been using [midiin] to check within Pd the values that correspond to knobs and other stuff in Ableton, but there seems to be only a limited amount of things I have access to from Pd (e.g. I cannot change focus from Pd)

Has anyone tried any of this? Are there any other solutions for controlling Ableton with Pd? Is midi the right way to go?

Cheers,

fdch

fdch.github.io