[PD] tcpserver and tcpclient

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:50:35 CEST 2020

This is only *partially* related, but could be useful to know:

We overhauled the core networking objects last year and this work is now integrated into the current Pd master branch. It will come out with the next release version and I recommend trying it out if you are able to build Pd yourself. If you want to test on macOS I can make a build.

Some info: https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/577 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/577>

> On Mar 30, 2020, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> From: Edwin van der Heide <pd at evdh.net <mailto:pd at evdh.net>>
> To: pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: [PD] tcpserver and tcpclient
>
> I’m trying to find a good-working combination of tcpserver and tcpclient for the 64 bit version of Pure Data on macos, windows and linux in order to send fudi messages between the different clients via the server.
>
> I started with maxlib but found that tcpserver and tcpclient are not part of the distribution anymore and in the old v0-0 distribution they are partially 32 bit. I contacted Fred Jan and he directed me to the mrpeach and iemnet libraries since they are maintained and further developed.
>
> It seems that objects from the mrpeach library give me trouble (crashing) (especially on windows) although this needs further testing on my side.
>
> As a strategy I would like to compare them to tcpserver and tcpclient in iemnet. My problem is that iemnet/tcpclient outputs the the received messages as bytes in individual messages instead of a list. Tcpserver however does output the received messages as list. I would like to further process the output of tcpclient with fudiparse and am looking for a good way to do this that is also light on the cpu.
>
> Best regards!
>
> Edwin

--------
Dan Wilcox