[PD] tcpserver and tcpclient

Edwin van der Heide pd at evdh.net
Mon Mar 30 23:03:31 CEST 2020

> On 30 Mar 2020, at 22:22, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
>
> On 3/30/20 9:29 AM, Edwin van der Heide wrote:
>> My problem is that iemnet/tcpclient outputs the the received messages as bytes in individual messages instead of a list.
>
> actually it's the other way round: mrpeach/tcpclient outputs the
> received messages as lists instead of bytes.
>
> assuming that you get full messages over a stream-based protocol will
> sooner or later bite you¹.
> so, as roman said, the behaviour of iemnet is quite intentional.
>
> in any case, you need to solve the problem of interleaved messages from
> multiple clients.

Yes you are right about iemnet/tcpclient vs mrpeach/tcpclient. And yes, I understand that solving the interleaved messages is important but that happens on the server side, not on the client side.

> On 3/30/20 2:32 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>>> Tcpserver however does output the received messages as list.
>> Which one? [iemnet/tcpserver] does not, as far as I know. See above
>> reasons.
>>

> actually it can be forced to do that. but you shouldn't.
>
> famrds
> IOhannes
>
> ¹ i'm tempted to ask you to consider whether your crashes might actually
> be related to this. but then, most likely they are not.

I’m now even more sure that it is mrpeach/tcpclient that crashes. I’ve replaced it with iemnet/tcpclient and parse the bytes using [list store] (including some logic around it) and the crashes are gone on all platforms.

Best!

Edwin