[PD] behringer xr18 (x32) osc

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Tue Mar 31 12:40:06 CEST 2020

> Hm. I see bidirectional connections with [netsend]/[netreceive] working
> only for TCP. Also, the help-file says 'send' for [netreceive] works
> only for TCP.
Yes, but the problem is only about [netreceive -u]: it doesn't store a
list of clients, so [send( can't work.

Actually, the implementation would be not so trivial because UDP has no
real notion of connection, so [netreceive -u] wouldn't really know when
to remove a client from the list... Or should it just keep clients until
explicitly removed by the user? For a real server, I think we also need
something like a [sendto( message, so we can reply to specific clients,
since we don't always want to broadcast - also for TCP mode!

But pairwise bidirectional communication does work for [netsend -u], ist
just that you need two pairs of [netsend -u] and bind them to specific
ports:

[connect localhost 9999 9998( -> [netsend -u]

[connect localhost 9998 9999( -> [netsend -u]

Now you can send messages between the two sockets. See attached patch.

Christof