[PD] AoO Coming Out: Audio over OSC - Message based streaming solution goes public...

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Sat Apr 4 15:01:41 CEST 2020

Hi, you definitely can stream between apps on the same computer.
Regarding latency you have to measure, but there are basically three
parameters regarding the latency in the case of Pd:

a) network latency (negligible for localhost)

b) hardware buffer size / Pd latency

c) [aoo_receive~] buffer size

On my Windows 7 laptop with an ASIO driver and 64 sample hardware buffer
size and 5ms Pd latency, I can set the [aoo_receive~] buffer size down
to 4-5 ms. On some other systems, you might get even lower. One of the
use cases of AOO is certainly low latency audio streaming over local
networks, especially over long periods of time (literally weeks or
months, given that the devices have access to a NTP time server).

AOO does have a bit more latency than [pd~] because of the extra buffer
in [aoo_receive~]. I think it rather depends what you need: [pd~] is
slaved to the parent process, but provides sample accuracy. On the other
hand, when you run a seperate Pd instance and pass audio with AOO, they
are fully independent.

Give it a try and report back! Here's the latest snapshot (Just unpack
the .dek archive): https://git.iem.at/cm/aoo/-/jobs/10983/artifacts/download

I'm currently working on a UDP punch hole server, so that people can
easily create peer-to-peer-networks over the internet und jam together :-)

Christof