[PD] VR and Pd

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Thu Apr 9 23:00:53 CEST 2020

FWIW, I've made a VR performance with Pd + openFrameworks:
https://vimeo.com/389373613

The sound is spatialized with 3rd order ambisonics, using the IEM plugin
suite + [vstplugin~]. The audio track in the video uses a binaural
rendering.

In openFrameworks, I used the ofxOpenVR addon. This is just a thin
wrapper around Valve's openVR SDK which allows you to talk to several
different VR headsets. Personally, I've used both the HTC Vive and the
new Oculus Rift S. I very much prefer the latter because of the inside
out tracking, which doesn't require external sensors and is very stable
even in quite dark environments.

Beware that this kind of "low level" approach to VR is quite cumbersome,
but it has interesting possibilities. For "regular" VR installations,
however, a game engine like Unity, Unreal or Godot is *very* much
preferrable.

I'd suggest, first think what you want to achieve and then decide
whether Pd/Gem really is the right tool for the job (it probably isn't,
at least not for the graphics part ;-)

Christof