[PD] [PD-announce] vstplugin~ v0.3.3 bug fix release!

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Mon Apr 13 12:23:38 CEST 2020

Hi Miller,

thanks a lot for reporting! Will push a fix on develop.

> ... and, it wasn't obvious to me that I needed to have static libc++

In the build system there's a CMake option "STATIC_LIBS" which says:
"link with static libraries (libstdc++, libgcc and phread)"

You can just set it to OFF. There's a note in the README:

"WhencompilingwithGCConLinuxweoffertheoption`STATIC_LIBS`tolinkstaticallywithlibstd++andlibgcc;thedefaultis'OFF'."

Turns out that the last sentence is wrong :-) The default is `ON`. Will
update the README.

> I'm not sure why it's necessary to use the static version at all

Statically linking makes sharing C++ externals easier. I've had people
missing the correct stdlibc++ version on their Linux system, so the
external would fail to load. So for uploading to Deken, statically
linking is preferred. Package managers, on the other hand, frown upon
static linking and prefer to link dynamically (which makes sense). So if
vstplugin~ would be released as a Debian package, it should be linked
dynamically. I just offer both options.

Then there's a very annoying bug in mingw32 where dynamic linking libgcc
and libstdc++ breaks DWARF2 exception handling if the host application
is statically linked and vice versa. Throwing an exception immediately
terminates the program...
https://git.iem.at/pd/vstplugin/-/issues/26#note_4132 Luckily, this
doesn't affect mingw64 builds.

> Meanwhile, bravo - this is a really good thing.
Glad you're enjoying it! *blush*

Christof