[PD] phasor~ with non fixed input

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Mon Apr 20 18:41:03 CEST 2020

* Boštjan Jerko <bojerko at gmail.com> [2020-04-20 17:14]:
> I’m trying to understand the script I got and there is one part where phasor~ gets an input that is not a number. Something like on the attached image.
As a general rule, better post post the .pd file (called "patch")
instead of screenshots.
> I don’t get why and how the output is produced.
> In the manual it says for the phasor that “incoming message overrides the initial value”. Does that mean that the phasor will act as it gets the last value in the buffer e.g.
The phasor~ accepts audio signals at its frequency input as well. The
momentary amplitude of that audio signal will be interpreted as the
frequency in Hz. So in your case the phasor~ has a frequency that is not
constant, but oscillates between -1Hz and 1Hz (because that's what the
[osc~] signal does). You might hear clicks now and then as the sawtooth
waveform wraps around. How frequent does the phasor~'s frequency alter
between -1Hz and 1Hz? Well, that is determined by the [osc~] frequency
in turn. This is 1000Hz when you open your patch, and switches to 1Hz
when you click onto the [x] toggle box that is connected to the
frequency inlet.
Bottom line: The fact that an audio signal can be used as a control
signal for other properties, and is itself never made audible, is at the
heart of modular analogue and digital synthesis.

best, P