[PD] Add commas to an OSC-message

Martin Peach chakekatzil at gmail.com
Thu May 21 23:44:05 CEST 2020

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 5:19 AM Patrick Heidegger via Pd-list
<pd-list at lists.iem.at> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I want to send controls for multiple fx-parameters in Reaper with a single OSC-message.
> Controls for multiple parameters in reaper are defined like:
>
> /track/1/fx/2/fxparm/x1,x2,x3,x4/value y1 y2 y3 y4
>
> where xn are the parameter index and yn are the assigned values.
> I know that commas in PD usually can not be used in this way.
>
> Is there any workaround?

If you want to send y1 to/track/1/fx/2/fxparm/x1 and y2 to
/track/1/fx/2/fxparm/x1x2 etc. , just make four separate messages like
/track/1/fx/2/fxparm/x1 y1
They could be in a bundle together.
If you want to send all the ys to each of the four endpoints then it
should be written* :
/track/1/fx/2/fxparm/{x1,x2,x3,x4} y1 y2 y3 y4
...which is problematic in Pd because of the way text input is
interpreted as TCL at some points, so again it's easier to make four
separate messages. In a bundle they will have a timestamp so they will
act simultaneously.

Martin

*http://opensoundcontrol.org/spec-1_0 "OSC Message Dispatching and
Pattern Matching"