[PD] Catalina makes Pd take too long to load externals? + Other annoyances.

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri May 29 03:16:13 CEST 2020

Hey macOS/Catalina people (do we have any here?), I formatted my computer
and decided to install Catalina just to test things and now I can't go
back. I was forced to stay in the latest release because I can't install
XCode from app store in the previous OS, it has to be Catalina... Miller is
right to hate mac and windows force pushing upgrades <3 - I might still try
to go back and install XCode somehow cause I'm starting to hate a few
things - enough ranting!

Anyway, I already opened an issue that seems to affect Catalina -
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/issues/988 - but for that tcl/tk
might be the one to hate for. As long as we're at it, do other Catalina
users have the same issue there?

*Now for the actual subject of the email. I'm finding that externals in
Catalina are taking too long to load. Anyone else feels that? It's kind of
intermittent. Sometimes it does that, sometimes not... it's happening for
me in Pd 0.50-2 and the new 0.51-0-test1 as well.*

As for yet another annoyance, Catalina will now say it can't open Pd right
out of the box when you download, and it'll even ask you if you want to
delete. It does this even if you right click and ask to open it.
Previously, you had to right click and ask to open so it would give you an
option "do you really want to open this?". Now it just says something like

"“Pd-0.50-2” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.

macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.

Chrome downloaded this file today at 22:05 from msp.ucsd.edu."

It's only when you say cancel and try that for a SECOND time is that if
offers you the possibility to open if you really really want it and changes
the warning to *macOS cannot verify the developer of “Pd-0.50-2”. Are you
sure you want to open it?*. Not sure if this is a Pd thing or just
something stupid that macOS now does for ALL applications.

cheers