[PD] Catalina makes Pd take too long to load externals? + Other annoyances.

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri May 29 12:35:45 CEST 2020

Y'all: I fixed this months go, it's just not in the current builds (but now in the current master):

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/838 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/838>

Someone sent an email to pd-dev about it, I fixed it, and they tested the fix. If you want to test on Catalina, try the "Pd-0.52-2-signed.zip" on http://docs.danomatika.com/pdbuilds/0.51/ <http://docs.danomatika.com/pdbuilds/0.51/>

Also, everyone please stop the constant FUD about forced upgrades. We get it, you use the OS you prefer and I will use the one I prefer.

> On May 29, 2020, at 11:41 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 11:34:21 +0200
> From: "hans w. koch" <hansw.koch at gmail.com <mailto:hansw.koch at gmail.com>>
> To: Pd-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Catalina makes Pd take too long to load externals? +
> 	Other annoyances.
>
> (had replied to this earlier, but to alexandre only, by mistake.)
>
> that annoying behaviour is called notarization and should protect the galaxy from evil bananas.
> the delay could be caused by the notarization process checking against an internal database of good actors and in case there is no entry trying to do so online.
> i´ve heard you can kill all this by turning off SIP (sytem integrity protection), but i am on mojave, which is slightly less annoying.
>
> in addittion, if some brave soul on cataline wants to check if that assumption about notarization is true, there is some info here:
> https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/117896 <https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/117896>
> so the test would be to measure with and without that stuff…but thats certainly not a generally recommandable case.
>
> best
> hans

--------
Dan Wilcox