[PD] Please keep deken package online

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 09:27:22 CEST 2020

On Sun, 2020-06-07 at 19:34 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> The reason now, like I told you, is that I was/am trying to merge
> into the same download the inclusion of my tutorial as a single combo
> pack... so I put it down and tried to reupload but failed.

I see. What I'm actually suggesting is to do not touch already released
versions at all. If you make changes, then it should have a new version
and you should create a new release for this new version. At least that
is how I think releases should be handled and it seems already common
practice in Deken (and probably everywhere else in the software world).
Of course, you're free to do whatever you want with your software.

> I've been asked before to keep old stuff and we discussed this
> before, and I agreed it wouldn't hurt to keep not that many old
> versions around. It gets to a point where things change so much and
> so quickly that I just thought it was too much pollution to keep old
> stuff around

I don't see the problem of pollution as long as you release new
versions with a higher version number (which you do). Newest version
appears on top in Deken. Right now, Deken provides the ELSE library
only for two architectures.

>  so I had this policy. But the thing now is that I'm trying to do
> this, and it got out of hand and over complicated, sorry.
>
> But it seems now I'm being able to do it, let's see it in a day.
>
> I can also just put the last version back if you give me a moment,

You don't have put stuff back solely for me.

> and I'm still curious, how does your script work? Can you please tell
> me more about your needs?

Actually, I shouldn't have mentioned my script. It's not relevant to
the discussion. My point is to not confuse regular users of the
library. I think they should have easy access to previous versions when
they develop their patches dependent on the library, for instance for
testing regressions.

My script simply downloads the library from a configured URL and
extracts it to the right place, nothing fancy  [1].

> Actually, I'm also now concerned if this script will work with my
> attempt to pack two folders into a single download for deken.

Again, you should not be concerned about my script, but about regular
users.

Roman

[1] I got many complaints about how hard is to install netpd, that's
why I'm trying to create standalone applications for macOS and Windows
with Pd+externals+netpd+instruments bundled. The script also downloads
and extracts the ELSE library.