[PD] update cyclone debian packages - functionality breakage & coordinating takeover (was: installing pd via apt-get)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 01:00:05 CEST 2020

Em dom., 15 de dez. de 2019 às 22:51, Alexandre Torres Porres <
porres at gmail.com> escreveu:

> Em dom., 22 de set. de 2019 às 04:10, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> escreveu:
>
>> Am 21. September 2019 08:45:38 MESZ schrieb Alexandre Torres Porres <
>> porres at gmail.com>:
>> I see that puredata-core has cyclone, but an old version, how can
>> include the latest cyclone?
>>
>> Debian (and derivatives) ship "cyclone" for more than a decade. Because
>> your fork of cyclone
>> - breaks functionality (starting with missing "cyclist")
>> - and the takeover was not very well coordinated
>> ... i have not switched (yet) the Debian packages to your upstream.
>>
>> I think the biggest issue for me is (still) the uncoordinated takeover.
>> if that is resolved, the Debian packages might (and i don't see why not)
>> switch
>

> Howdy. Not sure I get the takeover issue and how to solve it or not.

Ok, I guess I get it now and I can see the issue has reached a resolution
when we now have the nilwnd fork, correct?

> I think breakage is more serious but we hope to solve both issues so
> debian packages can switch.

Cyclone 0.5-0 is just out and we solved the issue we weren't compiling with
Upper Case aliases for Linux. That's the only breakage I was aware, and
it's gone. As for cyclist, I already mentioned the actual issue, we didn't
take it out and asked how to get it back, and seems impossible
without maxmode. Nilwind builds cyclist now but doesn't have maxmode either
so it's not usable. Let me stress I can't see any breakage in functionality
with nilwind and if there is one, it should be reported and fixed.

Anyway, if the breakage and takeover issues are agreed to be resolved,
please consider updating packages eventually. Note that cyclone 0.5 depends
on Pd 0.51-0 anyway.

cheers