[PD] [semi-OT] binary nvidia drivers on Debian Linux for Gem

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Wed Jun 10 12:18:41 CEST 2020

Hi list,

oliver and me have been struggling to get nvidia binary drivers to work
on his Debian stable laptop. Their intended use is with Gem, hence I
would like to know if in 2020 the preferred way to install them is with
Debians nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-dkms package or with some install
script downloaded from nvidia's webpage?

Furthermore, if the laptop has two graphics cards, one intel and one
nvidia, which I understand is called Optimus™ by Nvidia, there seems to
be the bumblebee project to use this under Linux (with one free
implementation in bumblebee and one non-free in bumblebee-nvidia
packages). This package also provides the optirun binary which
apparently can be used to start specific programs with one of the two
cards explicitely?

thanks for any pointers, I hope this info is valuable to others as well.

cheers, P