[PD] Pd Test Suite

Mario Buoninfante mario.buoninfante at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 12:45:58 CEST 2020

Hi all,

Like I mentioned a couple of days ago, I'm currently working on a simple
test suite for Pd, hoping this could be useful when working on new
features/releases.
The idea is to have a high level test suite that doesn't test the source
code but instead runs Pd, then launches the tests and gathers results.
Of course this approach, like everything, has its pros and cons.
I suppose in the pros list we have:
- easy to setup and run
- not testing single "units", but "units" in a bigger context
- easy to maintain/populate

In terms of cons:
- reports are quite generic - we know where it fails but then some
investigation is needed
- not testing single units means something small broken can affect a lot of
tests (I suppose that's a good thing also)

I'm sure there are more pros and cons.

I am keeping the thing as simple as possible in the hope that anybody can
populate the test pool, run the suite and look at the results.

Ideally at some point the suite will have a test for each Vanilla object
and also a test for each bug fix.

I'm at a point where I'd like to get some feedback before going ahead (ie
"this is pointless!!!!!", "I won't bother using it", "I'd rather do it this
other way...", "I think it's ok", etc.),.
I got something basic up and running (tested on Ubuntu Studio 20.04 and
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 only for now) that can be found here:

https://github.com/mariobuoninfante/pdtest/

Please if you have any time at all, give it a try and share your thoughts
(currently doesn't work on Windows simply cause I didn't have any Win
machine on hand, but it should be pretty easy to make it run there as well).

Cheers,
Mario