[PD] getting vanilla gui objects into standalone builds

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 20:04:27 CEST 2020

Em dom., 28 de jun. de 2020 às 12:13, hans w. koch <hansw.koch at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> well, as a relative oldie, let me tell you this is wrong :-)
> last commit to github 5 days ago:
> https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data
> last relase: 26 days ago (14 committs since):
> https://github.com/agraef/purr-data/releases
>
> or your world is aging fatser than mine…

I guess he meant "outdated" rather than "old", in the sense that it does
not pair up with the latest releases of Pd Vanilla. Pd Vanilla is now at
version 0.51, Purr Data says it's paired up with 0.48, but that is not true
because it misses some functionalities from 0.48 and even from earlier
versions. I've seen things from 0.46 missing in Purr Data, so as far as I
know it's down to being fully compatible to 0.45 (6 versions older,
released in 2013). I also see issues in the documentation, as they have
separate documentation files for Vanilla objects but haven't updated them,
so some just miss the functionalities they have ported and are also
outdated in respect to what they have (and users may just not know about it
because of the lack of info). And finally, it is outdated as some libraries
that come with it are also in an older version than you can get for Vanilla
via deken.

And as far as incompatibilities go, let me also point out how it is
incompatible to Pd Extended as it hasn't ported all of its GUI objects from
tcl/tk. Some other libraries available for vanilla that are not part of
Purr Data may also not run for the same reasons: not paired up to 0.51 and
not being able to run if they're using tcl/tk (I guess this is the main
issue as it forces new externals to also be coded not in tcl/tk in a
version suited to run in Purr, and I'm just not aware anyone has done that
yet).

cheers