[PD] inlet: expected 'signal' but got 'bang'

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 03:58:26 CEST 2020

    > On Thursday, July 16, 2020, 6:58:40 PM EDT, Sebastian Lexer <s.lexer at incalcando.com> wrote:

 > Hi,

> Getting desperate after spending hours to locate the error "inlet: expected 'signal' but got ‘bang’” I am getting from a fairly huge project, running in pd 0.49 on a raspberry pi.

> The only object I am aware of being able to produce an error like this is the [inlet~]. After checking all subpatches I have not found any [inlet~] that has any non-signal patch cords connected.

> Is anyone here aware of any other objects that might produce the above error message? The 'last error' feature does unfortunately not give a result or clue.
"inlet" is actually a bit of an implementation detail here. "inlet" is it's own little class that handles messages on behalf of ancillary
inlets of a given object. The error should probably say "inlet of x" where x is the class name for the object that owns the inlet.

At least in Purr Data[1], each error has a hyperlink which will focus the appropriate canvas with the relevant object highlighted. So
the vague error message is less problematic (though I just added an issue for it anyway[2])

It's not discoverable in Pd Vanilla, but you should be able to do the same thing like this:
1. click <shift> (or maybe it's <ctrl>, I can't remember. The correct one will get you a weird-looking cursor)2. now armed with your weird-looking cursor, click on that vague error message
3. the object which caused the error should now be highlighted
Best,
Jonathan

1. https://agraef.github.io/purr-data-intro/Purr-Data-Intro.html
2. https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/-/issues/661