[PD] Negative frequency of modulating sinusouid in FT

Maximiliano Estudies maxiestudies at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 17:44:37 CEST 2020

Hey peeps,

I have another question regarding "The Theory and Technique of Electronic
Music". It is not directly related to pd, but I guess that many of you will
know this stuff and might be able to help me. I hope it is ok.
In the last paragraph of 9.1 (
http://msp.ucsd.edu/techniques/latest/book-html/node164.html) the frequency
of the modulating signal is defined as having negative frequency (in the
book -*kω)*, why is that the case? wouldn't a sinusoid with positive
frequency *kω* also give us two partials at 0 and 2*kω*?

Cheers,
Maxi
--
Maximiliano Estudies