[PD] 0.51-1-test1 issues

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:44:38 CEST 2020

Howdy all,

I don't use dark mode, so I never noticed this personally. I'm surprised it hasn't come up before, actually. From a short search, it seems the easiest fix is to tell the system to ignore dark mode for Pd so it will stay "light" but at least everything will be legible:

https://www.techjunkie.com/exclude-app-dark-mode-macos-mojave/ <https://www.techjunkie.com/exclude-app-dark-mode-macos-mojave/>

You can try it on your own by running the following in Terminal, then (re)starting the Pd gui:

    defaults write org.puredata.pd-gui NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool true

What's happening is that some elements are being changed to dark mode while others clearly are not. For instance, some of the canvas draw commands pick up the light gray/white from dark mode but are drawn over a white background. This is down to how Tk handles/doesn't handle dark mode and the default colors specified to Tk from Pd.

A proper implementation of this would involve having light and dark color schemes for Pd and possibly the GUI while updating Tk to use the non-color specific tint defaults and handle the color mode change Cocoa events, if it doesn't already do so.

I will add a bug fix PR which sets this automatically when you start the GUI, as with a couple of other settings which Pd needs by default. I honestly do not have the time to dig any further into this, ie. full dark mode support.

> On Aug 13, 2020, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 18:43:05 -0300
> From: Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com <mailto:porres at gmail.com>>
> To: "Scott R. Looney" <scottrlooney at gmail.com <mailto:scottrlooney at gmail.com>>, Pd-List
> 	<pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] 0.51-1-test1 issues
>
> Hi, I think we should address this in the pd list, I mean it as a request
> for the feature to be available out of the box ;) hence I'm replying and
> bringing this back to the list.
>
> Anyway, here's Scott's message
>
> Em qua., 12 de ago. de 2020 às 18:33, Scott R. Looney <
> scottrlooney at gmail.com <mailto:scottrlooney at gmail.com>> escreveu:
>
>> hey Alex saw your comment on dark mode - regarding dark mode as far as i
>> know it's a pretty easy fix to change the default Tcl/Tk BG color . hit up
>> Mike (Fress Prench) on Discord for details. here's the relevant info from
>> his post:
>>
>> *"Add this to the end of your pd-gui.tcl file
>> (Applications/Pd/Contents/Resources/tcl) option add
>> *PatchWindow*Canvas.background #ffe5b5"*
>>
>> best,
>> scott
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 2:22 PM Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com <mailto:porres at gmail.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> btw, having dark mode working on macos and other systems would be
>>> wonderful for owls like me who spent the night patching :)

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>