[PD] no midi input

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 15:24:47 CEST 2020

Howdy Paul,

Here is a quick response without knowing your background or experience with Pd/MIDI/Linux...

1. Do you have Pd's MIDI input enabled? I don't see one listed, just the "Pure Data Midi-Out 1"

2. Are you connecting devices? By default, aconnect doesn't connect anything automatically. I did a quick search and found this which may be helpful if you are not familiar with aconnect or aconnect-gui:

https://howchoo.com/g/zmm2zdi3ody/raspberry-pi-midi-keyboard-synthesizer#connect-keyboard-to-pure-data <https://howchoo.com/g/zmm2zdi3ody/raspberry-pi-midi-keyboard-synthesizer#connect-keyboard-to-pure-data>

If you use aconnect-gui, basically just connect you devices output to Pd's input.

> On Aug 13, 2020, at 2:51 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 13:27:24 +0200
> From: Paul Pignon <paulspignon at gmail.com <mailto:paulspignon at gmail.com>>
> To: pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: [PD] no midi input
>
> I'm running pd-l2ork/purr-data
>

> I cannot get any midi input, probably due to a woeful lack of
> skill/knowledge.
> aconnect -i
> client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
>     0 'Timer           '
>     1 'Announce        '
> client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
>     0 'Midi Through Port-0'
> client 16: 'Mbox 2' [type=kernel,card=0]
>     0 'Mbox 2 MIDI 1   '
> client 20: 'USB Midi Controller' [type=kernel,card=1]
>     0 'USB Midi Controller MIDI 1'
> client 32: 'MidiSport 2x2' [type=kernel,card=4]
>     0 'MidiSport 2x2 MIDI 1'
>     1 'MidiSport 2x2 MIDI 2'
> client 128: 'Pure Data' [type=user,pid=22170]
>     3 'Pure Data Midi-Out 1'
>
> aseqdump -p 32
> shows a well-behaved midi data stream from my WX5.
> testone.pd however shows no midi input from any device.
>
> Can anyone help me to get that midi data into my patches?
>
> Best regards,
>
> /Paul
>
> --
> Paul [Stephen] Pignon