[PD] Inlet - Unexpected Behaviour

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 30 02:26:04 CEST 2020

> I agree that it's not practical for you to submit patches both to Pd vanilla and PurrData. After all, it is mostly trivial to backport the changes. Just let us know occasionally when you've found some critical issues :-)
Will do.
Best,Jonathan

 On 29.08.2020 21:58, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:

      On Saturday, August 29, 2020, 03:04:25 PM EDT, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com> wrote:

      Em qui., 6 de ago. de 2020 às 16:08, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> escreveu:

    > On Thursday, August 6, 2020, 2:07:09 PM EDT, matthew brandi <mfbrandi at outlook.com> wrote:
   > Dear people

  > In my role as village idiot, I am asking whether the string "fwd" in a message has a
  special meaning to inlet.

  > Naively, I was expecting inlet to pass the string to the subpatch, but it seems not
  to. See example patch attached.

  AFAICT that's a regression due to the way Pd Vanilla implemented message forwarding for
   [inlet~ fwd]. That's a feature that allows a signal inlet of a subpatch/abstraction to forward
  non-signal messages to the right outlet of [inlet~ fwd]. (The right outlet sprouts when the
  "fwd" argument is present.)
  Another regression-- there is no longer an error if you try to send a non-signal message to
  [inlet~].
  Another regression-- [inlet~ fwd] unconditionally allocates space on the stack to copy the
  entire incoming message. If you generate a long enough message this will blow the stack
  and cause Pd to crash. Esp. important given that Windows stack is much smaller than the RAM
  available for heap allocation on most machines.
  Also-- I *think* Pd Vanilla doesn't forward pointer messages through [inlet~ fwd]. It appeared to be an oversight-- at least I didn't see any comment about it.

  A GSoC student spent some time reimplementing this in Purr Data, so none of thiese should be
  issues there.

  > I think it's a good idea if you're changing and fixing stuff to also send a PR to vanilla as a proposal. Would you consider doing that as well?
  Before you ask that, have a look at the PRs. You can view the list of open PRs for Pure Data Vanilla here:
  https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pulls

  It appears Christof (Spacechild1) submitted a patch for this almost a month ago. So it wouldn't make sense to send another
  PR for this same fix. Christof's patch should work just fine to solve these issues.
  If you're asking in general, that's unfortunately just not practical. We'd have to manually create a new patch set and test it  for Vanilla, for (nearly) every single change we make. It's much easier to just report here when I find crashers-- Miller and Christof  are quite quick to fix them. They know the Vanilla build/test/development process much better than I do so that seems the much preferable route for everyone involved.
  Best, Jonathan