[PD] Installing GEM through Dekken not working

mick mengucci misturapura at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 19:35:44 CEST 2020

Thank you very much for your attention.

*sudo apt-get install gem*

Gives me:

*Reading package lists... Done*

*Building dependency tree *

*Reading state information... Done*

*gem is already the newest version (1:0.93.3-13).*

*0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.*

So I uninstalled gem with

*sudo apt-get remove gem*

and reinstalled it with

*sudo apt-get install gem*

it installed 6 new packages, but I cannot open gem objects in pd. I am
looking for the directory of gem to put it in preferences>path but cannot
find it. So I installed *locate* and found it is in

*/usr/lib/pd/extra/Gem/*

with capital G (why? isn’t its name “gem”?)

Anyway I added this path to pd preferences and when I create object
|gemwin| it still gives me lots of errors for related objects.

Then I found this other directory (with “gem”, not capital letter)

*/usr/share/gem/*

added this to the preferences>path with no success.
I finally was able to do it running:

*pd -lib Gem *

Thank you very much again for your support.

IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> escreveu no dia quinta, 10/09/2020
à(s) 20:13:

> On 2020-09-10 15:31, mick mengucci wrote:
> > Hi list, I have problems instaling GEM, I hope somebody is willing to
> point
> > me in the right direction. Here is what I did.
> >
> > I installed Pd 0.48.1 with the terminal
> >
> > *sudo apt-get install puredata*
> >
> > That worked fine, I am on Xubuntu 18. Typing in terminal:
> >

> so why don't you run?
>
> ~~~
> sudo apt-get install gem
> ~~~
>

> Gem is largish package that has loads of dependencies.
> deken was not designed for such packages.
> apt was.
> use apt.
>
> gmards
> IOhannes