[PD] Installing GEM through Dekken not working

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Sep 12 22:38:29 CEST 2020

On 2020-09-12 19:35, mick mengucci wrote:
> Thank you very much for your attention.
>
> *sudo apt-get install gem*
>

> Gives me:
>

> *gem is already the newest version (1:0.93.3-13).*

cool, so you already had it installed.

> *0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.*
>

> So I uninstalled gem with

i don't understand why you did this, but anyhow.

> it installed 6 new packages, but I cannot open gem objects in pd. I am

you do have to load Gem first.
"pd -lib Gem"

the gem package also comes with a startup script "pd-gem" that does this
for you.

> */usr/lib/pd/extra/Gem/*
>

> with capital G (why? isn’t its name “gem”?)

no.
the name is "Gem" (with a capital "G" and the rest lower-case).

> Anyway I added this path to pd preferences and when I create object

the only reason why this works and didn't work before you added the path
is, that the Pd you are running is not the one installed through apt-get
(despite of what you claimed in your last mail).
the Debian provided Pd (and thus the one provided by (X)Ubuntu), will
find the Gem in it's path without further ado.

> |gemwin| it still gives me lots of errors for related objects.
>
> Then I found this other directory (with “gem”, not capital letter)
>

> */usr/share/gem/*
>

> added this to the preferences>path with no success.

remove this from your preferences.
the reasons why there's a /usr/share/gem directory are solely related to
Debians idiosyncrcies with regard to architecture-independent data.
the data itself is symlinked into /usr/lib/pd/extra/Gem/, so everything
is *in place*.

> I finally was able to do it running:
>

> *pd -lib Gem *

well, yea: that's the command to run (as explained above ;-)).

you could have also just read /usr/share/doc/gem/README.Debian ;-)

gfamdsrt
IOhannes