[PD] Advice on distributing pd-based software for apple

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 20:01:15 CEST 2020

Ranst aside, for now you can do "ad-hoc code signing" for free as we do with Pd starting in 0.51 for macOS 10.15+:

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/mac/osx-app.sh#L359 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/mac/osx-app.sh#L359>

Reference: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/288291/what-are-the-restrictions-of-ad-hoc-code-signing <https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/288291/what-are-the-restrictions-of-ad-hoc-code-signing>

This may change in the future, but works for now. You can also look up a pd-list thread about 6 months ago where Roman was figuring out how to sign his re-package of Pd for netpd distribution.

This won't remove the "unidentified developer" warning but it should run, although I'm not sure how that mechanism transpires within the context of running things within Max. I would suggest having a second system to test this out other than the build system aka build, then copy to the other system and try running it.

> On Sep 18, 2020, at 6:41 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 08:54:42 -0700
> From: Brad Garton <garton at columbia.edu <mailto:garton at columbia.edu>>
> To: João Pais <jmmmpais at gmail.com <mailto:jmmmpais at gmail.com>>
> Cc: "pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>" <pd-list at mail.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at mail.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Advice on distributing pd-based software for apple
>
> You can use a variant of these instructions:
>
> http://sites.music.columbia.edu/brad/osx-windows-new-RTcmixes/annoying.html <http://sites.music.columbia.edu/brad/osx-windows-new-RTcmixes/annoying.html>
>
> to get around the STUPID ANNOYING STUPID OBNXIOUS Apple gatekeeper
> code-signing thing.
>
> brad

--------
Dan Wilcox