[PD] multichannel vs many stereo writesf objects?

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Mon Sep 28 22:36:44 CEST 2020

Personally I would use a single [writesf~].

Each [writesf~] has its own background thread where most of the time is
being spent waiting for disk, so I'd say there's no point in
parallelizing by using several [writesf~] objects. On the contrary, you
only end up with more context switches.

Personally, I occasionally experience audio dropouts when using many
[readsf~] objects which I attribute to the excessive mutex locking since
the objects are not really CPU intensive...

Christof

PS: I think that all [readsf~] resp. [writesf~] objects should really
share a single IO thread and use a lockfree fifo instead of mutexes
(like in SuperCollider)...