[PD] Concatenating two atoms into one?

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Thu Oct 1 09:54:13 CEST 2020

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 2020-10-01 09:22, hans w. koch wrote:
>> but be aware of the risks of invoking makefilname all too often.
>
> note that if you use dollsyms (as in `[$1$2(`) you are filling up the
> symbol table just as well.

i was just about to ask, if the attached modified patch would avoid that
problem, but you replied already.

could you please clarify the used term "invoke" a bit ?
i guess the number of [makefilename] objects isn't the problem, but how
much/often its conversion mechanism is used, right ?

does that mean that everytime a number->symbol conversion happens
(regardless how it is done) the symboltable is filled and will
eventually slow down or crash PD ?

so, as a live example: writing number values to GUI labels dynamically
is a potentially dangerous thing ? what's the threshold there ?

or is there any way to clear the symboltable ?

sorry for my noob questions ... just a little concerned right now as i
use this feature quite often ...

thanks for any insight !

best

oliver