[PD] audio interface with multiple outs on raspberry pi

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Fri Oct 2 12:06:35 CEST 2020

Jakob Laue wrote:
> Dear 0xFFriends,
> I am looking for an usb audio interface that has at least 8 outputs so
> that I can have at least 4 stereo outputs from within pd. The challenge:
> I am on a raspberry pi (2 and 3). Does someone of you know about an
> audio interface that supplies this number of outputs AND works with a raspi?

i used the "ESI Gigaport HD+ 8-Output" in a sound installation, and that
was rock solid. worked even on a RPI 2 (out of the box as far as i remember)

you might want to consider an external power supply (an active usb hub)
for the soundcard. and (since i was streaming an 8 channel wav file with
[readsf~] i had to increase PD's audiobuffer and the playback blocksize
for smooth playback (i put [readsf~] into a subpatch and used [block~
2048 1 1] to achieve that - if i remember correctly).

> Or is it possible to buy 4 cheap audio interfaces with 2 outputs each
> and use the simultaneously?

I would strongly advise against that

Best

Oliver