[PD] RPI stereo USB audio was: audio interface with multiple ins on raspberry pi

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 14:15:37 CEST 2020

To add on to Chris's question with a tangent, have any of you had good experience with bog-standard stereo USB Audio interfaces and RPI 3 or 4?

Some years ago now, I tried to use an RPI 2 with my trusty USB 1.1 standard audio interface (Roland Edirol UA-25) which is full-duplex stereo, 2 in / 2 out. I could never get it to work well in full-duplex mode without dropouts, even with a low-latency kernel and other real-time tweaks. In the end, it seemed the USB driver on the RPI was simply not designed for the "isynchronous audio" this requires.

The same device worked well on my original wearable, a Pentium 3 500 MHz machine but with a dedicated USB controller chip.

In the end, I decided to move toward iOS for embedded/wearable (hence PdParty) and the same device works very well at low-latencies on iPads and my (now old) iPhone 5S.

I'd like to still be able to run the setup with alternate systems, so does anyone have experience that the USB drivers have been improved? Thanks in advance

> On Oct 6, 2020, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 10:48:48 +0800
> From: Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx <mailto:chris at mccormick.cx>>
> To: PD List <pd-list at iem.at <mailto:pd-list at iem.at>>
> Subject: [PD] audio interface with multiple ins on raspberry pi
>
> Hey all,
>
> Same question as the previous poster but I was wondering about inputs
> rather than outputs. Ideal solution:
>
>  * USB.
>  * Low cost.
>  * More than 2 channels in.
>  * Headphone sized jacks.
>  * Works with Raspberry Pi.
>
> I've searched but could not find such a beast. Any hints?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris.

--------
Dan Wilcox