[PD] quacktrip - jacktrip (low-latency audio) from behind home routers

Edwin van der Heide pd at evdh.net
Sun Oct 18 16:00:52 CEST 2020

Hi Miller,

I’ve started playing around with quacktrip 0.91 today and am having a lot of fun!

I have been interconnecting a Macbook Pro 2009 and a Macbook Pro 2016, both on the same local network, but one using a VPN connection from the Netherlands to Latvia (and back) to simulate a bit of distance.

Two observations:
- Sometimes a glitch occurs without the dropout counter increasing. I’m not sure if this occurs because a package is missing and the counter is not updated, or that the package is there and something else goes wrong.
- The number boxes are updated at a fast rate and that takes a bit of CPU. The audio networking itself is actually not very cpu intensive.

I could imagine two additions:
- option to choose between 16 and 24 bit quality
- create the possibility to send audio in one direction only instead of always in both directions.

Cheers!

Edwin

p.s. should I assume that foo.ucsd.edu is usually up or would you recommend to run my own server?