[PD] Startup times to run Pd patch on Raspberry Pi

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Mon Oct 19 11:08:30 CEST 2020

Late follow up for topic a my experiences and rfc.

roughly documented, in
 https://git.iem.at/cm/diyasb
see firmware/debian ...

With an Olimex A64, (quite like RaspPi3, but industrial specs), I run Debian
(Armbian) now on many of them over 6 month outdoors, so quite stable and
they boot in 20sec-30sec from internal emmc-flash with usb-sound devices.
It quite fast (14s sec), except for Pd patch waiting for jackd 5-10 seconds
with my systemd scripts, so there is room for improvement, systemd-analyze
says::

algo at DIYasb5:~$ systemd-analyze
   Startup finished in 6.013s (kernel) + 27.266s (userspace) = 33.280s
   graphical.target reached after 14.179s in userspace

in details it blames:

algo at DIYasb5:~$ systemd-analyze blame
         10.009s jackd.service
          5.108s olsrd.service
          3.271s armbian-ramlog.service
          3.018s pd_stream.service
          2.547s armbian-zram-config.service
          1.829s dev-mmcblk1p1.device
           948ms keyboard-setup.service
           872ms ifupdown-pre.service
           669ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
           527ms man-db.service
           521ms networking.service
           510ms systemd-journald.service
           423ms resolvconf.service
           356ms darkice.service

note: olsrd for network-mesg is not needed so graphical.target is after pd is
started with no-gui.

to start pd faster we could theoretically rearrange it,  after sound.target
and jackd.service, but I didn't succeed.

Any hints on optimize the systemd scripts are welcomed.

mfg
   winfried

Am Dienstag, 6. Oktober 2020, 17:29:24 CEST schrieb Yann Seznec:
> Thanks for all the thoughts and feedback. I should have said that my 60
> second boot time is when I use the Pi headless, console-only, running the
> patch with -nogui.
>
> I’ll have a look at disabling some things as suggested, and I’ll report back
> if I make any significant progress! I imagine I’m not alone in this quest
> so I’ll try and document it somehow, or at least post it here for future
> generations.
>
> I really like the look of piCore OS too. It seems like the right approach
> for me in the long run, though I am wary of jumping into a new system.
> Maybe eventually we can make our own pdCore OS :)
> > On Oct 5, 2020, at 5:27 PM, Thomas Grill <gr at grrrr.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > i am a big fan of the piCore os. [1]
> > That is a stripped down read-only linux distro with loadable modules for
> > alsa, pure data etc.. Boot times are considerable shorter than with
> > raspbian.
> > Of course it also needs some dedication to get used with it.
> >
> > I have compiled pd, jack and libfftw3 for piCore 11, to be found here:
> > https://grrrr.org/data/dev/picore/piCore-11/
> >
> > best, Thomas
> >
> > [1] http://tinycorelinux.net/11.x/armv6/releases/RPi/
> >
> >> Am 05.10.2020 um 17:05 schrieb Martin Peach <chakekatzil at gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> It takes about a minute for the pi to boot. There is not much you can
> >> do about that.
> >>
> >> Martiin

> > --
> > Thomas Grill
> > http://grrrr.org

- ao.Univ.Prof. DI Winfried Ritsch
- ritsch at iem.at - http://iem.at/ritsch
- Institut fuer Elektronische Musik und Akustik
- University of Music and Dramatic Art Graz
- Tel. ++43-316-389-3510 (3170) Fax ++43-316-389-3171