[PD] Checking for interest: Scheme interpreter external for PD

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 05:14:26 CEST 2020

Hello, I'm the author of Scheme for Max, a relatively new open source
external for Max/MSP that hosts an embedded Scheme Lisp interpreter using
S7, the Scheme implementation from Bill at CCRMA, also used in Snd and
Common Music. The external allows one to do things like script and live
code Max in scheme, including evaluating lisp code on the fly from files or
message boxes, sending messages to other objects, writing to and from
common data structures, and interacting with the scheduler. I'm pretty
excited about how well it's working for my purposes, and will be doing a
new release this fall as part of my MMus at UVic, as well as turning it
into a thesis project. I also intend to include full support for the Common
Music algorithmic composition toolkit (which also is programmed in S7
scheme or SAL)

I have been kicking around the idea of trying a PD port, and wanted to
check whether this sounded interesting to folks in PD land. I like the idea
of port because it's always good to be have one's work usable on more than
one platform, and linux support would be good for low latency use cases and
things like running on small machines. I expect this would be a significant
amount of work though, so figured I'd see if it sounded interesting to
folks first.

You can get the idea of how it works from the v1 demo video if you want to
see what I'm getting at. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErirIFCTdjg

Comments, questions, feedback welcome.

Iain