[PD] A fifth IMMEDIATE YES from New Blankets [Checking for interest: Scheme interpreter external for PD (Iain Duncan)]

Joe Deken newblankets at newblankets.org
Thu Oct 22 15:58:29 CEST 2020

Hello Ian,
(Allowing for time-zones and the dateline) I would eagerly like to be the

        -- FIFTH IMMEDIATE HEARTY "YES" VOTE!? --

>From my own viewpoint, the introduction of LISP structures and capability
into
Pd would be seminal to new visions and vistas for Pd itself.  (I am warped
by having conversations
with Chris McCormick and other aficionados of Clojure, incorrigible years
myself with emacs-LISP, and even -- when dinosaurs roamed the earth, with
giants such as John McCarthy -- some small bit of tme of my own in his
shop and among his disciples at CSAIL.

Lest my mind wander (further), I'll say this more concretely: New Blankets
is happy to offer resources
for your efforts if such resources would turn out to be useful. (Not the
dreaded "bounty" avenue -- I'm thinking more of something like a
*Pd-Weekend* at my place here in San Diego (or at yours) --  Such PdW
would be a "round workbench" session as Katja dubs  --  you could present
your PdScheme work (when you're ready) to a hands-on group who would riff
on your schemes  and move them forward.  At first attempt, this Pd-Weekend
could even be virtual and open to all via round-workbench sessions at say:
   --  https://meet.jit.si/duncan_pd_scheme/ --

A personal plea ... hope you will include in your vision the wonderful
ideas of Brian Harvey and his SNAP! visual-interfacing achievements. (Some
antidote is needed with real LISP to counter the bogus infestation of
Scratch! which seems to have taken pernicious hold world wide ...)

On Thu, October 22, 2020 1:34 am, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:

    1. Checking for interest: Scheme interpreter external for PD (Iain
Duncan)

> > Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 20:14:26 -0700
> From: Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists at gmail.com>
> To: pd-list at lists.iem.at
> Subject: [PD] Checking for interest: Scheme interpreter external for
> 	PD
> Hello, I'm the author of Scheme for Max, a relatively new open source
external for Max/MSP that hosts an embedded Scheme Lisp interpreter
using
> S7, the Scheme implementation from Bill at CCRMA, also used in Snd and
Common Music. The external allows one to do things like script and live
code Max in scheme, including evaluating lisp code on the fly from files
or
> message boxes, sending messages to other objects, writing to and from
common data structures, and interacting with the scheduler. I'm pretty
excited about how well it's working for my purposes, and will be doing a
new release this fall as part of my MMus at UVic, as well as turning it
into a thesis project. I also intend to include full support for the
Common
> Music algorithmic composition toolkit (which also is programmed in S7
scheme or SAL)

> I have been kicking around the idea of trying a PD port, and wanted to
check whether this sounded interesting to folks in PD land. I like the
idea
> of port because it's always good to be have one's work usable on more
than
> one platform, and linux support would be good for low latency use cases and
> things like running on small machines. I expect this would be a
> significant
> amount of work though, so figured I'd see if it sounded interesting to
folks first.

> You can get the idea of how it works from the v1 demo video if you want
> see what I'm getting at. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErirIFCTdjg
>
> Comments, questions, feedback welcome.
>
> Iain

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 08:35:01 +0200
> From: IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> so now that you ask: i think it would be great.
>
> gfadmsr
> IOhannes

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 09:56:16 +0200
> From: "Peter P." <peterparker at fastmail.com>

> It would be great to have esp common list available in Pd as part of an
open-source licensed external indeed.