[PD] Checking for interest: Scheme interpreter external for PD

Iain Duncan iainduncanlists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 21:35:02 CEST 2020

Hi Andy, well I've ordered your book to learn PD, so I'm at least that
committed! :-)  My overarching goal is to make tools for composing,
improvising, and sequencing, so at this point, I'm punting on signals.
First I want to support everything in Rick Taubes's Notes From the
Metalevel book, along with a bunch of my own ideas, for algorithmic and
computer assisted composition/improvisation. But I am hoping to get signals
into play eventually. Which makes this a good time for a question...

In Max, my understanding is that if Overdrive is on and Scheduler in
Interrupt is selected,  we actually get only two threads: low priority
thread running who knows when, and high priority thread alternating between
a pass of eating up the scheduler queue (up to the limit) and then a pass
of the audio vector render. So given that I'm forcing all messages to run
in the high priority thread (unless the user asks for danger-mode Any), I
*think* I should have no problem calling into S7 and sharing data from both
dsp perform routines and regular event scheduled messages. I have not,
however, actually done this yet. Can anyone tell me what the situation in
PD is there? Or point me at good docs/resources on how the threading and
scheduling works in PD?

Thanks
iain