[PD] comport and/or MIDI on Tiny Core Linux

Yann Seznec yann at yannseznec.com
Tue Oct 27 20:01:44 CET 2020

Hello everyone,
As a follow up to my post a few weeks ago about startup times on Raspberry Pi, I have been exploring Tiny Core Linux (v9) on a Pi 3. Generally speaking this is super promising, with startup times around 15 seconds and it seems very stable.

Some of the things I want to run on this system require external libraries. I have managed to get zexy working, for example, by simply including the library in the same folder as the patch that uses it.

I have not had the same success with comport. Including a linux build of the comport object in the folder with the project does not work - I get a “couldn’t create” error when I launch the patch. I have tried declaring the library with the -lib flag, but that gives me an error saying “comport: can’t load library”.

I have installed the USB-Serial extension, though I’m not sure if I’ve missed a step there to make it work properly.

This feels like a long shot, but has anyone managed to get comport working on Tiny Core Linux?

Alternatively, has anyone used USB MIDI with Tiny Core Linux? That isn’t working for me either.

As usual, any tips would be excellent, many thanks.

Yann