[PD] comport and/or MIDI on Tiny Core Linux

Yann Seznec yann at yannseznec.com
Wed Oct 28 14:55:43 CET 2020

Oh my goodness, against all odds I have gotten this working! I now have the comport object working on piCore. It’s hard to overstate how pleased I am, thanks so much for your help.

For future generations (or, more likely, myself in the future), the steps to my success were:
- install the “compiletc.tcz” tools. Previously I had only installed gcc.tcz and make.tcz, and apparently that wasn’t enough.
- copy a m_pd.h file from elsewhere, and reference the path to that in my “make” command so it looked like this: “make PDINCLUDEDIR=/path/to/file/“

And it worked! The comport object now loads in a patch without errors. I even managed to get some data through from USB, though after a reboot the serial port seems to have reset, so there’s more work to be done to make it stable. This is major progress, though.

Antoine, as to your question:
> I've always stuck to raspbian until now, but it's always a hassle to turn it to a read-only file system, to allow disconnecting the power without having to cleanly shut down the system. Apparently TCL could make it easier, would you confirm?

I’m probably not the best person to answer this, as to be honest I’ve never bothered with “cleanly” shutting down the system when running something on a Raspberry Pi. I always just unplug it, and as far as I know it’s never caused me any issues…however I’m happy to admit that this was poor practice. I would imagine that TCL is better with this regard, since as far as I understand as little is written permanently to disk as possible. However I’m really not very educated on the matter - my primary desire to use TCL was to get a shorter startup time and a generally cleaner setup!