[PD] help on bash script

Jakob Laue jakkesprinter at web.de
Mon Nov 9 14:08:21 CET 2020

Gesendet: Montag, 09. November 2020 um 13:59 Uhr
Von: "Peter P." <peterparker at fastmail.com>
An: pd-list at lists.iem.at
Betreff: Re: [PD] help on bash script
* Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com> [2020-11-09 13:25]:
[...]
> Poor man's solution:
>
> put a 'sleep 5' after starting Pd.
This of course introduces a race condition. Might almost always work™.

> A slightly more advanced way:
>
> while ! aconnect --list | grep "Pure Data"; do sleep 0.1;
>
> Put that after firing up Pd. It continues only after "Pure Data"
> appears in the list of available MIDI ports.
Which is much more elegant, thanks Roman. Note that this will cause
confusion when more than one Pd instance is running. A possible command
line flag to name a Pd instance for alsa-midi was discussed in the
aforementioned thread. It seems that it did not get implemented in the
end.

Yes, that looks elegant indeed! I will try that, thanks!
Regarding multiple instances of pd: For now I have not planned to run more than one instance of pd, so I think I am good with that for now:)