[PD] Sample loop - start and end point (WAV files)

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 15:13:35 CET 2020

Howdy all,

I did give up for a while. The discussion is here:

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/897 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/897>

I still have the relevant code but there was simply too much to do back then and I had to pull back and put it on the back burner. It's still something I think should be working in Pd, but maybe restricted to *read* only as a start instead of me trying to implement full write access.

My first focus is to get the sound file updates into a Pd release as we need CAF and AIFC support for a major project at work: https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/855 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/855>

Once that is in, say Pd 0.52, then I can refactor the previous meta read code, otherwise there is no-one stopping someone from writing an external using something like libsndfile to poop out metadata....

> On Nov 9, 2020, at 1:28 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 13:15:15 +0100
> From: "Ingo" <ingo at miamiwave.com <mailto:ingo at miamiwave.com>>
> To: "'Alexandre Torres Porres'" <porres at gmail.com <mailto:porres at gmail.com>>
> Cc: "'Pd-List'" <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Sample loop - start and end point (WAV files)
>
> Dan Wilcox was working in the ability of [soundfiler] to read the loop point within Pd.
>
> In Pd 0.51.1 there was still no change concerning sample loop points - unless it's not documented in the help file.
>

> Reading and writing loop points outside of Pd is no problem. I've been doing this for more that 30 years.
>

> However, I need to be able to automatically read loop points within Pd when unknown samples are being loaded.
>
> So far I had to get the loop points in other softwares and write lists for Pd to be able to handle them.
>
> This is rather tedious and also prone for errors. One little typo and you get clicks!
>

> Especially this won't work for simply loading new sample into an existing Pd patch by other users.
>

> I hope Dan didn't give up on ths . . .
>

> Ingo

--------
Dan Wilcox