[PD] Installing PD-vanilla-0.51 on linux mint with apt-get

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Nov 10 14:50:35 CET 2020

On 11/10/20 1:17 PM, Thomas Mayr wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm quite new to Linux and I have a question about installing or updating
> PD.
> When i run the commands
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install puredata
>
> only PD-vanilla 0.48.1-3 will be installed.
> Which commands do I have to use to update to version 0.51 through apt-get?

update Mint¹?

in my experience, Mint is super-nice for noobs (or so i heard) but at
the same time it is severely lagging behind with the packages it provides.

otoh, there has been a rather recent new release of "Linux Mint 20
'Ulyana'" which is based on Ubuntu-20.04 and thus should come with Pd-0.50-2

mfgasdr
IOhannes

¹ the rant is hidden in the footnote.
i think many people coming from a non-linux world are having problems
with the concept of distributions.
on windows, you usually install the base-system (say: WindowsXP) and
then stick with it for your entire lifetime (however, this is changing
with Win10). on top of that you would install the newest versions of
whatever software you need.
on linux, a distribution is a huge collection of software that is tested
to play together.
if you install a given version of a distribution, then you are supposed
to stick with the packages of that release. if you install a
distribution release from 10 years ago, this means that you will also
have 10 year old software.
if you want new software, get a new distribution (or get one that
supports upgrading).
there have been efforts to change this and adopt a more windows-like
model (but personally i don't think this is actually doing any good;
apart and afaict, this is mainly driven by the needs of distributors of
closed source software)

of course, people are also welcome to self-compile stuff on linux.
(but then: if you want to self-compile stuff, why chose Mint)