[PD] Apple's GM MIDI player in Pd?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 11:26:01 CET 2020

You can send to the DLS synth when it's wrapped in a separate application, ie. SimpleSynth. To use it within Pd would be extra work, which is possible but lower priority when you can connect Pd to anything, including SimpleSynth.

For Linux, there is Timidity but it is a user space app and not part of the system, so it will always be separate. You will need too use something like connect to connect PD to it when both are running.

> On Dec 10, 2020, at 3:33 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 23:32:50 -0300
> From: Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com <mailto:porres at gmail.com>>
> To: Pd-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: [PD] Apple's GM MIDI player in Pd?
>
> I noticed Pd in windows can use an internal MS GM player, see:
>
> [image: 2020-12-09 23.20.34.jpg]
>
> And seems Apple also has a similar thing, called "DLS Sound Set" or
> something like it that other softwares use (like Live and Max) but Pd can't
> see it. I wonder if there's a way for Pd to see it or if there's something
> in the way.
>
> Thanks
>
> ps. while we're at it, does Linux have something like that too?

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>