[PD] Pd 0.51-4-test1 with macOS scrollbar fix

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 01:28:54 CET 2020

Ok, here is a new 0.51-4-test2 build with some more fixes (including scrollbars): Pd-0.51-4-macupdates1.zip <http://docs.danomatika.com/pdbuilds/0.52/Pd-0.51-4-macupdates1.zip>

I'm being lazy and rolling these changes into the scrollbars PR on GitHub: https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/1242 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/1242>

(This time responding inline.)

## Fede:

> 1) Pd crashes when you focus on the pd console, go to Edit > Font, and
> stretch x and y by a value, say 120. After clicking OK, it's a crash.

This should be fixed with a Tk back port patch by Seb Shader on GitHub.

> 2) iemguis: when you update properties on the property dialog and hit
> return,
>  -- if you hit "cancel", changes are already made (I think this might be
> already mentioned somewhere)

As mentioned before, we need to save the original state when the dialog was opened, then re-apply it on cancel. I feel this is a bit too much of a change to make for a quick bugfix release, so it will need to wait until 0.52.

>  -- The "OK" button font turns white, and it's hard to read. [This font
> color is also present on the Help > Find Externals "Show All" button.]

This is due to those buttons being the default active button, ie. "pressed" when the Enter key is pressed. Normally, the background when active is blue (or whatever tine setting you are using) and the foreground is white, so contrast is fine. For some reason, I'm not sure if this is Tk or Cocoa, if the button get's too big (ie. when Pd's font size is huge), the background color is no longer used so you have white text on a gray background. Hit the Tab button to watch the active focus leave the button and its font will turn black.

I looked at this a little but and it's not something I'm prepared to get into right now. Also, do you really use Pd with the UI font that large?

## Phil:

> It looks like TK 8.6.10 is paying attention to the system “Dark” appearance setting, when set. This leads to ‘interesting’ results with patches (white borders, mostly), and it’s a real problem with dialogs such as Audio Settings, which end up being white text on a light gray background.

I looked into this again and this should not be happening often. As of a version or two ago, the GUI sets a defaults key which should disable dark mode for Pd. There is a chance you would see this if starting Pd on a new system with Dark Mode enabled as the key needs to be saved by Pd first, then loaded on the next start. What is you set up to where this is happening? Is it happening constantly, ie. whenever Pd is run?

We may need to actually set this key in Pd's Info.plist directly so it's always applied, no matter the defaults setting.

> I’ve also noticed that system dialogs (Audio Settings, MIDI Settings) stay on top even when other applications are in focus. I’m not sure if this is new behavior, though.

This is fixed by not setting those dialogs to "topmost" on macOS.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>