[PD] resources required by ossia & else (was Re: deken server error?)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 18:24:44 CET 2020

Em qui., 17 de dez. de 2020 às 06:07, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> ## else
> the problem here is that there is a lot of platform independent data
> (e.g. a 5+MB-file of of white noise; wtf?), duplicated across all
> package versions and all platforms.

What do you mean about that? what's the white noise?

> a typical package of else is about 30MB (zipped).
> this does not seem too much, but given that there are 10 different
> architectures supported by else (and each is shipped in a separate
> package) and your upload rate is >3 per month (for each package!), the
> numbers just sum up.

yeah, it's a lot, but it's 9 architectures and for the year I've released
(so far) 9 of them (27=>35), and I was trying to have 7 versions uploaded
when we hit the issue. So, well, 30 x 7 x 9 => about 1.9BG, yikes! The
release rate got pretty high in the last 2 months cause I was teaching a
course and really dove into this.

> i accept that this is to a certain extend a problem with the deken
> infrastructure (namely: not being able to specify dependencies).
>
> it's also due to my insisting that you do not remove releases from
> puredata.info.
>
> but i think we need to do something about it.
>
> @porres for the time being i would like to ask you to:
> - remove the live-electronics-tutorial from the "else" distribution
> until you do a proper release.
> - merge multiple architectures into a single package (e.g. you could
> have a package containing Darwin-amd64-32, Darwin-i386-32,
> Linux-amd64-32, Linux-i386-32, Linux-arm64-32 and Linux-armv8-32; and
> probably Windows-i386-32 and Windows-amd64-32 too, but i didn't test as
> the current uploads are broken)
> this requires some changes in your build pipeline, as you would need to
> use arch-specific suffixes (e.g. `l_i386` for Linux-i386-32) rather than
> the generic OS-specific ones (`pd_linux` for all the Linux archs).
> as there we currently don't have different suffixes for the various
> 32bit arm variants, you would still need to package these separately)
>
> as an immediate remedy, i would even like to ask you to remove old
> alpha-releases (and it breaks my heart to say that).

Ok, I'll see how to build and upload this in a better way, joining up at
all raspberries versions (maybe removing one or another, cause I have FOUR
right now and maybe that's just silly and not needed), both linuxes and
both windowses...

I had the compromise to keep around 5 of the last versions around. So I
removed the one I was trying to upload and will hold it and try to do this
in the new way. I removed one of the lasts and I'm keeping 5 old versions
so far.

cheers