[PD] Pd's jack outputs are numbered from zero onwards?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Dec 18 21:17:02 CET 2020

On 12/18/20 9:06 PM, Peter P. wrote:
> * IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> [2020-12-18 20:52]:
>> On 12/18/20 8:40 PM, Peter P. wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> just discovered that Pd's jack audio ouput ports are numbered from zero
>>> onwards. Is this very intentional?
>>
>> it's been on my todo-list for ages to fix this.
> Great, good to hear! Thanks IO!

while fixing the issue is trivial, i wonder what's the best way to proceed.
simply changing the port-names from "input0" to "input1" will probably
break all existing auto connection-setups (e.g. qjackctl patchbays).

currently they will do something like:
  "puredata:output1 -> system:capture_0"

if we just renumber the ports, this will *certainly* introduce
off-by-one errors (e.g. have movie dialoge come out of the sub woofer).

so we probably should name the ports slightly different, so that
"output0" becomes "output_1".

(the ALSA backend of jack uses underscores as a separator; but Ardour
(somewhat canonical) uses spaces - though i'd rather avoid that)

what do you think.

famdsr
IOhannes