[PD] moocow string2any

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Dec 23 12:24:21 CET 2020

On 12/23/20 11:33 AM, Gilles Marivier wrote:
> hello, thank you.
>
> Le 23/12/2020 à 10:51, IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
>> On 12/22/20 4:59 PM, Gilles Marivier wrote:
>>> hello,
>>> I encounter a problem regarding Pduino 0.6 with Pd vanilla 0.51-1.
>>> The digital input 7 of Arduino Nano doesn't return anything.
>>
>> i wonder how this is related to "moocow string2any"?
> "moocow string2any" is necessary for Pduino 0.5/Pd vanilla, and doesn't
> exist for Raspbian. I was searching for a solution for this object

well the real question was: why is the subject of your email "moocow
string2any", when it really is about problems with pduino.

[1] mentions that you should change the subject if the topic discussed
has changed.

>> and have you tried pduino 0.5 with Pd-vanilla 0.51-1?
>
> Yes, but
>
> 1- I need to install zexy, mapping, and moocow (doesn't exist for
> Raspbian). For this last, [string2any] is the object necessary => that's
> why I landed on this thread

and
 >> on raspbian, you can install pduino with `apt-get install pd-pduino`
 >> which will install all the dependencies (like pd-comport) as well.
 >
 > I know, I did that. I tried with all the corrects externals objects in
 > an external specific folder too, with declare object, I tried with
 > this folder and pd's path preferences too.

well, on Raspbian, [string2any] is in the pd-pdstring package (which is
pulled in by pd-pduino).

when using a Pd that has not been installed via 'apt-get', i can at
least create the [pduino/arduino] object without problems when starting
$ pd -path /usr/lib/pd/extra/

so i don't understand your problem.

> 2- with OSX, it's almost ok (all libraries availables) but I think the
> object [list prepend] causes an error. Here are error messages in the
> pd-console :
[...]
 > route 13 0 20 1 (message->prepend) connection failed

first: that's definitely *not* "almost ok". it means that the patch most
likely won't work, because missing connections will prevent the data to
flow where it should flow to.

then: i don't think it's the [list prepend] object.
older versions of [arduino] (those found on deken before 0.6) used -
besides the [list prepend] object - [cyclone/prepend].

now, [arduino] is a rather old object, and when it was written, cyclone
was still maintained by Krzysztof Czaja‬.
in his original version of cyclone, a [prepend] object created with no
arguments would get an extra inlet, to set the atoms that should be
prepended.

it seems that since alex has taken over cyclone, the extra inlet of
[prepend] has vanished. i don't know enough about Max/MSP to know,
whether this change was done to enforce stricter compatibility between
the two runtimes.

anyhow: to solve your problem, you can:
- use the old cyclone
- ask alex to re-introduce the 2nd inlet
- replace [cyclone/prepend] with [list prepend] (plus the occasional
[list/trim]).

gfmasd
IOhannes

[1] http://puredata.info/community/lists/Netiquette