[PD] moocow string2any

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 21:24:11 CET 2020

Em qua., 23 de dez. de 2020 às 08:27, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> it seems that since alex has taken over cyclone, the extra inlet of
> [prepend] has vanished. i don't know enough about Max/MSP to know,
> whether this change was done to enforce stricter compatibility between
> the two runtimes.

I honestly don't remember, since we've done so much and it's been almost 5
years we've started doing this. Looking at the available and very extensive
changelog, I see:

"
- [append] - fixed useless inlet bug, bang behaviour and symbol input
- [prepend] - fixed useless inlet bug, bang behaviour
"

Now, trying to reconstruct what happened and what this means, this is my
bet.

I looked over the old examples (pre 0.3) and saw no mentioning of a second
inlet in the documentation of cyclone/Append, and this inlet only shows up
when no argument is given, which is weird. Moreover, yeah, that's not how
the original max object works and the documentation seemed to just be a
copy from Max, so I seem to have considered it "useless" as the
documentation (besides not showing or mentioning there could be a second
inlet) shows how to set the object without the second inlet via the 'set'
message (with or without arguments). So it really felt to me like a bug,
not a feature.

I see now the old examples do mention this about 'prepend', but I started
alphabetically revising all objects (code, behaviour, finding bugs,
checking against max) and, at one point, I just started rewriting all the
documentation from scratch as it was faster/better, and there were just too
much problems and errors with the old documentation.

I also realized at one point that cyclone was first provided without any
documentation and the first ones that appeared were not written by the
original author and were just copied from max anyway... So I missed this
when I got to prepend and maybe thought it was the same issue. The source
code wasn't really clear about this either. Checking 'prepend' I saw a
weird "iscompatible" flag and some comments that there was some
incompatibilities checked on the object over max and that it should be
fixed (Append's code had no comments about it). So yeah, I went on and
fixed it... considering it a bug, not a feature, and as with every changes
and bug fixes we've made, I put it into the changelog.

> anyhow: to solve your problem, you can:
> - use the old cyclone
> - ask alex to re-introduce the 2nd inlet
> - replace [cyclone/prepend] with [list prepend] (plus the occasional
> [list/trim]).

Or adapt the patch and use the 'set' message.

But yeah, I can gladly restore this "functionality" and document it for the
next release if anyone believes it's important.

Cheers