[PD] theme all the things

Andre Osku Schmidt andre at osku.de
Sun Jan 3 12:59:05 CET 2021

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 04:55:07 +0000 (UTC)
Sebastian Shader <sebfumaster at aol.com> wrote:

> Idk that much about x11 but on aqua and windows there are colors like systemHighlight that correspond to system theme colors.
> I think on x11 the way to do it might be through setting .Xresources/.Xdefaults and xrdb

i know that we can set new names (for colors) in xrdb, but can we do it on osx and ms-windows?
(i doubt a general theme will have enough colors/names for all use-cases, so we need new names)

i know that we can use multiple files with xrdb, but can we do it on osx and ms-windows?
(the bigger (as in scope) a file grows, the harder it gets to manage it)

but xrdb is sadly only used by old/legacy apps and almost no new app since a long while now uses it...

therefor i was planning on doing the "compromise standard", that every app/toolkit has its own theme/color/config file and the app manages its handling. so for pd, something like:

- system: /etc/xdg/pd/colors.file
  - (and the same on other operatingsystem, if they have such standard paths)
- user: ~/.config/pd/colors.file
  - (and the same on other operatingsystem, if they have such standard paths)

and the load order would be the "standard" (latter overwrites previous):

1. app defaults
2. system config
3. user config
4. (in case of pd: colors set in pd-patch?)

if this feature is not needed/wanted in vanilla pd, then i would like the included/default colors in pd to be in an own file (instead in pd-gui.tcl) so i can simply overwrite that file in my system after installing pd package. :P

but in any case, thank you for doing all the hard work to get custom colors in pd!
(that white pd-patch background was blowing my eyes in my dim-lit studio)

cheerio
.oskude

ps. on a funny side-note, i am experimenting to see if i can (as in will it be feasible to me) color my whole linux system (from linux console to last app) with just 8(16) colors (cause thats the default of linux console) :D