[PD] linking libs with pd-lib-builder (was Re: fluid~)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 22:03:58 CET 2021

> On 12.12.2020 10:49, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>
> The other, simpler alternative is to statically link fluidsynth into the
> external. You then have a larger pd_darwin but no dependencies or dylib
> search paths. If homebrew installs a statically-built  libfluidsynth.a to
> /usr/local/lib, you can use that.
>
> That was my intention and preferred solution. And since this wouldn't be
used by any other external, it's fine it's a larger binary!

Em sáb., 12 de dez. de 2020 às 08:17, Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com>
escreveu:

> Maybe it's helpful to look at pd-lib-builder, since it has an option to
> build a helper shared library.

Yup, I assumed pd-lib-builder could help us with things like that ;)

Em sáb., 12 de dez. de 2020 às 10:27, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> From: Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com>
> macOS: -install_name @loader_path/$(shared.lib)
>
> I think this line basically says "when loading this dylib, try looking in
> the same folder." This would be ideal as it means the libfluidsynth.dylib
> just needs to sit next to fluid~.pd_darwin.

That also works for me, but I'd still prefer to generate a single larger
binary with the lib included. Can we do that with pd-lib-builder?

One way or another, I'd need to see an example of a project that does this
and makes it work so I can better understand and copy the method. As it is,
I only have an idea that it provides a solution, but not really how.

I can also set up a repository for fluid~ on github and people can
contribute to fix this.

cheers