[PD] linking libs with pd-lib-builder (was Re: fluid~)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 00:00:11 CET 2021

Em seg., 4 de jan. de 2021 às 18:06, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> Em sáb., 12 de dez. de 2020 às 10:27, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com>
> escreveu:
>
>> From: Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com>
>> macOS: -install_name @loader_path/$(shared.lib)
>>
>> I think this line basically says "when loading this dylib, try looking in
>> the same folder." This would be ideal as it means the libfluidsynth.dylib
>> just needs to sit next to fluid~.pd_darwin.
>>

> That also works for me, but I'd still prefer to generate a single larger
> binary with the lib included. Can we do that with pd-lib-builder?
>

> Just run install_name_tool after building with the relevant options and
> files, probably via a secondary makefile target. You may need to read up on
> how makefiles work and the pd-lib-build docs on how the build steps are
> performed to find the right place to add it.*

Ok, "install_name_tool" is something new to me, I tested it on my terminal
and got something showing it exists for me. Then googling, I found
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33991581/install-name-tool-to-update-a-executable-to-search-for-dylib-in-mac-os-x
- which is pretty much what my issue is, but... it seems I still don't
speak the same language to follow any of this... and yeah, I tried
reading pd-lib-build docs before all this and no, I don't really know how
makefiles work for real, as I've been a spoiled pd-lib-builder user since I
started messing with this kind of thing.

By the way, I just published a repository for this at
https://github.com/porres/pd-fluidsynth I can build and use the external in
my system and all, but still can't distribute it or release it.

I see it sucks to just come and say "hey, I got no idea, can someone please
do this for me?", but I assume it could be really easy and I was hoping
reviving and distributing this external would be of great interest and
benefit to the community in general. Nonetheless, I'm also eager to learn
more about these trivial things, as I ended up sucked inside this black
hole of development :)  so if anyone there wants to have another shot at
pointing things out to me, I'm here.

thanks