[PD] Pd and sounds are running but windows are blank

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 14:12:10 CET 2021

Do *not* install Pd to a system path unless you are using a newer version of Tcl/Tk as the included 8.5.9 is quite broken: blank windows, etc. As noted in INSTALL.txt:

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/INSTALL.txt#L268 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/INSTALL.txt#L268>

I know this is tempting, especially for those coming from Linux, but there are a number of issues with using Pd on macOS like this, including application defaults keys not working as launching a Tk script for the command line will not connect it to app bundle plist settings which are included within a Pd .app, etc. If you want to invoke Pd on the command line, I recommend using a shell alias as documented in INSTALL.txt as well.

The safest bet is to build a Pd .app using "make app" although I'm not sure if the included pre-build Tcl/Tk Wish .app is up to date with Miller's releases yet:

    make
    make app

This results in a Pd-0.51-4.app in the main Pd source tree. I'd recommend right-clicking and renaming it to "Pd-0.51-4-double.app" if you have multiple versions on the same machine.

Also, the deprecation warning is from the system (macOS) and not from Pd. It basically means that Apple will remove the included Tcl/Tk from macOS in the future. Note: It is still shipped with macOS 11 but is unfortunately the broken 8.5.9 version.

> On Jan 11, 2021, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 17:18:24 +0100
> From: Dario Sanfilippo <sanfilippo.dario at gmail.com <mailto:sanfilippo.dario at gmail.com>>
> To: Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com <mailto:info at christofressi.com>>
> Cc: Pd-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Pd and sounds are running but windows are blank
>
> My apologies, Christof, I forgot. :-)
>
> That's right, I'm on 10.15.7. My Tclsh version is 8.5.
>
> Thanks,
> Dario
>
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 16:26, Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com <mailto:info at christofressi.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> it always helps to mention the OS ;-) I assume you're on macOS?
>>
>> Christof
>> On 10.01.2021 15:27, Dario Sanfilippo wrote:
>>
>> Hello, list.
>>
>> I'm giving a try to Pd double precision; I installed .51-4 using the
>> autotools.
>>
>> My patch is running and producing signals, although all windows are blank.
>> If I right-click, I can open the abstractions, blank again. I see a
>> deprecation warning about Tk, any clue what the issue could be?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> --
>> Dr Dario Sanfilippo
>> http://dariosanfilippo.com <http://dariosanfilippo.com/>